Permissions: You need Admin/Docs permission.
For therapists who do not have sign-off permissions, clinics can set up their clinic to allow users without sign-off permissions to bill as another user. This can also eliminate the need for a custom claim rule as clinics can control this setting themselves.
Set an Assistant to Bill as Supervisor
If a user is not credentialed with an insurance company, or they are a student, and their own names can't be present on the claim, then we can set up the payer settings to bill using the supervisor's NPI. This would be any user who has sign-off permissions and whose service type matches the treating therapist. When this setting is selected, then any kiddo with any payer in the sequence the user will be required to select another user to bill as. Here are the steps to set up the payer to bill using the supervisor's NPI:
- Go to Admin > Basic Setup > Payers.
- Search for and click on the Payer in question.
- With the Edit Payer window open, click on the Billing tab.
- Find the Assistants section, use the drop-down, and select Bill Using Supervisors NPI.
- Once satisfied, click the Save Payer button.
Now that this has been set up, the treating therapist may be required to select a supervisor. See the steps below for that process.
Select a Supervisor on a Daily Note
- Go to Docs > Daily Notes > In Progress.
- Open the document that you are trying to sign.
- Click on the Charges tab.
- Enter the billing codes for that client.
- Under the code, look for the drop-down section Supervisor.
- Use the drop-down and select your Supervisor.
- Continue with your Daily Note, remembering to sign.