Permissions: You need the Admin permission to add and manage billing codes.
Administrators manage the billing codes used to calculate and submit charges for different services. You can set up billing codes with unique names and numbers, fees per unit, types to indicate how units for each code are counted, and choose whether the codes will be billed on claims or go directly to the billing account.
Add and Edit a Billing Code
- Click the Admin tab at the top of the screen.
- Click Basic Setup in the menu on the left.
- Click Billing Codes.
- In the lower right, click the + Code button, or click the name of an existing Billing Code to edit that Billing Code.
- Fill in the billing code's information.
- Click the Save Billing Code button.
Name: The billing code's name, which will appear on documents and billing accounts.
Code: The billing code that will appear on documents, billing accounts, and claims.
Type: Indicates how the units for this code are calculated:
- Timed codes calculate units for every 15 minutes of service, with a minimum of 8 minutes for a unit.
- Untimed codes are always one unit.
- Equipment codes allow you to manually enter the number of units.
Fee Per Unit: The amount billed for this code per unit. For example, a fee per unit of $10 for 4 units will become a $40 charge.
Add to Claims: Indicates whether the code will be billed on claims or go directly to the billing account.
Deactivate a Billing Code
- To the right of the billing code, click the Deactivate icon .
- Click the Deactivate Billing Code button.
Reactivate a Billing Code
- Click the Inactive tab.
- To the right of the billing code, click the Reactivate icon .
- Click the Reactivate Billing Code button.
Delete a Billing Code
You can delete a billing code if it has not been used in any documents or linked to a preset appointment.
- To the right of the billing code, click the Delete icon .
- Click the Delete Billing Code button.